Coach of Thai soccer team stuck in cave apologizes in letter to parents filled with boys' messages of love
The youth soccer team coach trapped in a cave with 12 Thai boys apologized to their parents in the first letter they have sent out through divers, and it says they're doing well and missing their families.
Ekapol Chanthawong, the 25-year-old coach of the Wild Boars soccer team, wrote: "To the parents of all the kids, right now the kids are all fine, the crew are taking good care. I promise I will care for the kids as best as possible. I want to say thanks for all the support and I want to apologize to the parents."
The governor in charge of the rescue said Saturday that the co-operating weather and falling water levels over the last few days had created conditions for removing the team from the cave that won't continue if it rains again.
Authorities were waiting for two big groups of volunteer divers to arrive later Saturday and Sunday, after which they'll be ready to begin the operation of bringing them out, said Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn.
"The plan that I've held on to from the beginning is that we have to bring the kids out, and the determining factor of this plan is to have as little water as possible," he said. Floodwaters have been drained as much as possible, Osatanakorn said.
"But if it rains and adds to it again, we don't know what other risk factors we will have to face," he said, also warning about higher carbon dioxide levels in the cave.
In the letter, one boy writes: "I'm doing fine, but the air is a little cold but don't worry. Although, don't forget to set up my birthday party."
Another, identified as Tun, writes: "Mom and dad, please don't worry, I am fine. I've told Yod to get ready to take me out for fried chicken. With love." The name reference could be of a waiting relative.
The rest of the scribbled letters on pages from a notebook struck a similar message of love for parents and telling them not to worry.
One boy named Mick wrote: "Don't be worried, I miss everyone. Grandpa, uncle, mom dad, and siblings I love you all. I'm happy being here inside, the navy SEALS have taken good care. Love you all."
The boys, 11 to 16, and their coach went exploring in the cave after a soccer game June 23. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for almost 10 days. The only way to reach them was by navigating dark and tight passageways filled with muddy water and strong currents and in oxygen-depleted air.
Narongsak ruled out any rescue attempt for Saturday, saying the boys "cannot dive at this time." He said the boys were still healthy and have practised wearing diving masks and breathing in preparation for the diving possibility.
Thai officials had been suggesting in public statements that a quick underwater evacuation of the boys and their coach was needed because of the possibility that access to the cave could soon close again due to seasonal monsoon rains expected this weekend.
Earlier efforts to pump out water from the cave have been set back every time there has been a heavy rain.
Cave rescue specialists have cautioned against that approach except as a last resort, because of the dangers posed by inexperienced people using diving gear. The path out is considered especially complicated because of twists and turns in narrow flooded passages.
The suggestion that the trapped team might have to wait months inside until a safe way out is available, as was the case in 2010 with Chilean miners trapped underground, has met with little enthusiasm.
Authorities continue to pursue a third option: finding a shaft or drilling into the mountain in which the cave is located to find a sort of back door entrance.
The death of the Thai diver, Saman Gunan, on Friday underscored the risks of making the underwater journey. The diver, the first fatality of the rescue effort, was working in a volunteer capacity and died on a mission to place oxygen canisters along the route to where the boys and others are sheltered, said Rear Adm. Arpakorn Yookongkaew, Thai SEAL commander.
The strategically placed canisters allow divers to stay underwater longer during the five-hour trip to reach the stranded team.
Elon Musk, the entrepreneur behind the Tesla automobile and the SpaceX rocket company, said he would send engineers to help. One of his enterprises is Boring Co., which digs tunnels for advanced transport systems and has advanced ground-penetrating radar.
Musk also brainstormed on Twitter about possible technology for a safe evacuation, suggesting that an air tunnel constructed with soft tubing like a Bouncy Castle could provide flexible passage out.