At least 14 killed in northern Syria suicide bombing, war monitor says
A blast struck near a U.S.-led coalition patrol in Syria's northern city of Manbij on Wednesday, and a war monitor said two Americans were among the 14 people killed.
An Islamic State in Iraq and Syria-affiliated website, Amaq, said an attacker with an explosive vest had struck a foreign military patrol in a suicide attack. One of the witnesses said there was a "heavy" presence of military aircraft over Manbij following the blast, which took place near a vegetable market.
Reuters could not independently verify a report by the U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. The coalition could not be immediately reached for comment.
Last month, U.S. President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria after concluding ISIS had been defeated. The announcement rattled allies in the region and top U.S. officials, including Secretary of Defence Jim Mattis, who quit.
Two witnesses described Wednesday's blast to Reuters. The U.S.-backed, Kurdish-led Manbij Military Council militia that controls the town said there was preliminary information that people had been injured.
Manbij has been held by U.S.-backed fighters allied to the Kurdish YPG militia since they took it from ISIS in 2016. It is located near areas held by Russian-backed Syrian government forces and anti-Assad fighters backed by Turkey.